Points of Contact / Pontos de Contato is an exchange programme between Brazil and the UK to create new dialogues about social and personal transformation through the arts. Points of Contact aims to increase the capacity of artists, policy makers and funders to realise the full potential of dynamic and transformative cultural actions.
People’s Palace Projects have produced two reciprocal visits in 2012:
1. March 2012, Brazil-UK: nine Brazilian arts professionals and policy makers visited Manchester and London. They were:
- Celso Athayde, General Secretary at CUFA (Central Única de Favelas);
- Diogo Carvalho, Assessor of Youth and Digital Cultural at the Bahia State Culture Secretariat;
- Ione Carvalho, Director of Cultural Access at the Brazilian Ministry of Culture’s Secretariat of Cultural Citizenship;
- Marcus Faustini, Filmmaker, writer and Founder of Agência Redes para a Juventude;
- Betho Pacheco, Director of Special Programmes at AfroReggae;
- Marta Porto, Journalist and Consultant on Youth and Cultural Affairs;
- Pedro Prata, Coordinator at the National Secretary for Youth Affairs;
- Francisco Raposo, Programme Director at CCBB Rio de Janeiro;
- Sergio Vaz, Poet and spoken word artist, founder of Cooperifa.
They met with various organisations with focus on youth, arts and culture, such us Dance United, Contact Theatre, Lawnmowers, National Theatre of Wales, East London Dance, Bigga Fish, Tate Modern, The Albany and The Roundhouse. They also had meetings with representatives from the British Council, Arts Council England, Brazilian Embassy and Department for Culture Media and Sport.
2. November 2012, UK-Brazil: six British arts professionals and policy makers visited Rio de Janeiro and Salvador. They were:
- Pauline Tambling, Joint CEO at Creative & Cultural Skills;
- Simon Dancey, Director Wales for the British Council;
- Andrea Stark, former Arts Council and now first Chief Executive of High – House Production Park (HHPP) in Purfleet;
- Paul Reeve, Director of Education Royal Opera House;
- Sarah Macshane, Coordinator at Creative & Cultural Skills;
- Gary Stewart, Associate Artist PPP.
This visit focused on the development of programmes and policies within the creative industries concerned with the training and accreditation of young people from low-income backgrounds. In Rio they visited: NGO Crescer & Viver, Theatro Municipal do Rio de Janeiro, Rio Criativo, Spectaculu, Nós do Morro and had meetings with representatives from the Ministry of Culture and the Municipal Culture Secretariat. They were invited to go to Salvador by SECULT (Bahia State Secretariat of Culture) to visit Teatro Castro Alves, TV Pelourinho, FUNCEB, Centro de Formação em Artes, Semente de Ciência, Cipó and Pracatum.
From 2012, Points of Contact, is part of the British Council Transform programme.