“Brazil revels in both proposing and tackling big conceptual ideas that have the power to change society through culture…In the UK we need a complete change if we want to make it easier for more marginalised groups and communities to have their rightful place at the culture table – for me Points of Culture is a good starting point.”
(A representative of one of the 12 UK arts organisations who travelled to Brazil with Points of Contact)
Points of Contact/Pontos de Contato is an exchange programme between Brazil and the UK to create new dialogues about social and personal transformation through the arts. With the support of Arts Council England, British Council, Brazilian Ministry of Culture and UK Department of Culture, Media and Sport, this project facilitates reciprocal learning visits between Britain and Brazil for artists, arts organisations and policy makers.
Points of Contact aims to increase the capacity of policy makers and funders to realize the full potential of dynamic and transformative cultural actions.
Peoples Palace Projects have produced Points of Contact in 2 phases:
- March 2010, UK-Brazil: 25 UK artists, arts professionals and policy makers visited Brazil in March 2010. They included:
- representatives from 12 arts organisations
- 2 Fellows from the Clore Cultural Leadership programme; and
- 8 policy makers and funders
- October 2010, Brazil-UK: A reciprocal visit by Brazilian representatives to UK in October 2010. The visiting team included representatives from 20 Brazilian Pontos de Cultura, together with governmental and non-governmental cultural policy makers and funders.
From 2012, Points of Contact, is part of the British Council Transform programme.